It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:10 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:12 am 

As you know the car was wrecked.
Before pics: I changed the rear panel and lights b/c the old ones were tore up. I did various other things to bring the general condition of the car up to par. I paid $4700. Some of you may remember it from the THSCC days. It had that ugly thing on the hood. Headlights looked like ass. Suspension was ragged out. It was pretty much a POS. Then I put in the SR and added about $4,000 in upgrades.
Apexi GT Spec exhaust and Tein Flex coilovers thanks to Turbotime. :P Motor swap and 2 way LSD by James Gold.
Added a Greddy RSPL FMIC, Spec stage III clutch, Nismo motor mounts, Apex SAFC, 300zx MAFS, 12 psi, Boost valve MBC, Walbro 255 fuel pump, SS Autochrome turbo manifold and O2 pipe.

After:

You can see how it buckled the chassis bad enough to warp the body up to the doors; the passenger door wont even shut right. The motor was even a bit of a pain to get out.

A big hole ripped into the floor. Yup. thats bondo. There was a little damage there from the previous owner I didnt know about.

Heres the other car. Only cost me $1600. SCORE! Its an automatic though...for now.

Some front end damage
No spoiler or sunroof. :D

As of now the 5 lug hubs, all suspension, and 300zx wheels I had on the old car are put on the doner. Both motors are out. Im going to clean and paint the engine bay with POR 15 in light grey. I have new seats, new steering wheel, CF hood, 300zx brakes, Apex Power FC standalone, a spare head, and new Rays wheels on order.
I got the Gram lights 57 pros in 17x9 and 17x10 for the rear. Like these with a similar lip and offset.

I put the front end of the smashed car onto the donor. On my next weekend off I plan on painting the engine bay and getting the SR in there. After that its off to painting. More pics to come. I bought a digital camera. :wink:

Once the car is painted and to a point where I feel I gained back what I lost I will get a new turbo, injectors, and my headwork done. Goal: A responsive ~400 hp/tq.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

now thats what im talking about!
NICE!

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:45 pm 

OK, the motor is in! The whole drive-train is in too. I did the auto-to-manaul conversion. Switched differentials and drive shafts. Ive been getting lots of help from the Carolina Nissans guys. Even a little from TT. Thanks Mark.
My roomate even pitched in.

I still have a good amount of work to do. I need to cut holes to run the intercooler piping. I need to hook up the wiring harness, put in the radiator, fill it with fluids, put the interior back together and wait for my battery to get here. I melted the one I had on the charger.

Hopefully it will be running this weekend if I dont hit any major snags. I already hit one. A bolt is broke off in the turbo elbow. That will be fun to get out. No one told me it was broke. It would've been nice to know before I put the motor in.

I'll have pics up soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:36 pm 

I'm off Wed and Thurs this and next week. If you need some help on those days let me kno. I run a mean EZ out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:22 am 

Have you heard good things abotu SS autochrome? Some of the turbo mustang guys have bought turbos and WG's from them. The turbos compressor housing would split in half and the gates never work right and leak. I hope they are better with the intake.

I'd like to get something like what you have as another project, the turbo bug got me good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:13 am 

SHE RUNS!!! At about 9:30 last night it started and ran fine.
I still have to put the rest of the exhaust on, put the interior back together, bleed the brakes, and do the other small stuff to get it going right.

More pics:

Dirty:

Clean:

mostly painted:

Motor in its new grey engine bay:

Old brakes:

300zx brake upgrade with Brembo rotors and stainless steel brake lines. In the background are my Tein coilovers and my adjustable T/C rods. :D :D :D :D

Le Differance!

Last edited by shane b on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:33 am 
Site Admin

hell yeah!

good to see it running again.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:32 am 

sweet!

91 Galant VR4 #182/2000
00 Chevy 1500 Z71
05 Yamaha YZ250F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:39 pm 

OK, for those of us that dont live there.. Need a little clarification.. U had the other car converted then wrecked it ?? Then swapping over to NEW DONOR ??

Or ??

Sorry.. Running example looks good tho btw..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:04 pm 

You are correct. I have transferred everything that was over and above stock onto the donor car. The list includes:

SR20DET engine imported by Japan Direct. 2.0 L, DIS, variable valve timing, T28 stock turbo good to 280-290 RWHP. Stock bottom end good for boost into the 20s' of PSI (500+ hp)
2 way clutch type LSD
300zx brake conversion
4 to 5 lug conversion
swapped doors
swapped back seats
255 lph fuel pump
auto to 5 speed conversion
300zx wheels
Spec Stage III clutch
Full Stainless steel exhaust (SS autochrome manifold and o2 pipe, blitz 3" downpipe, Apexi 3.74" catback<-- courtesy of TT!)
Nismo motor and tranny mounts
Rear subframe bushing spacers
Greddy intercooler
Momo sport seats
Apex SAFC
Tein Flex coilovers<-- another TT item!
Adjustable T/C rods
B&M copy short shifter

Short list (things I havent changed on the doner car):
frame/chassis
windows
dashboard

I still have a bunch of extra stuff to put on the car. I have a complete standalone ECU, new wheels on order, a new CF hood and turbo and injectors to buy. 400 whp is not far off!!

Last edited by shane b on Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:12 pm 

I drove the car around today. I put some gas in it and took her for an easy drive. So far nothing fell off the car. :D I got the exhaust on, the hood, some interior stuff too. I only have one seat in it so it looks ready for a roll cage. 8)

Comment on the corbeau seat rails: Holy smokes do they sit high. With my Momo seats Im almost hitting my head on the roof! I was thinking of canceling my Bride rail order but now HECK NO im not. I must be 4-5 inches higher than stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:53 am 

Got the interior fully in, both momo seats. I got the radiator fan working, gages all hooked up, and the new CF hood hooked up. Damn, the car is 99% done.

Then bam!!! setback.

I didnt get a hood latch with the hood so I temporarily wired it shut just for a test drive. Car ran fine. Drove around. All is good. I unwired it to do some more stuff under the hood. Closed it and went to park it. I figured, what the hell, give it another test drive first. I went to cruise down to the church by chris's house and turn around. The safety latch on the hood didnt keep it shut. It slammed back. It cracked my windsheild all to shit and practically ruined the hood. It may be repairable but not good enough to keep it unpainted. So I guess I will need a new windsheild and to get the hood fixed or a new one. I was so damn pissed. One at myself for having a shot memory and forgetting to wire the hood down again. Secondly b/c the safety latch failed to do its job. The hood closes tightly on that car. Ive had a few instances where the stock hood didnt close completely and popped up but my ass was saved by the safety latch. If it hadnt happened now it would've happened later on. I would put money on that. I guess this is why people use hood pins on CF hoods????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:20 am 
Site Admin

im a fan of just drving it around with no hood till im completely done.... the syclone drove around for a while with no hood on it. im not afraid of being a redneck i suspose.

sorry to hear about your setback....

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:52 am 

Quote:
I guess this is why people use hood pins on CF hoods????
exactly, sucks that that happened, i know quite a few people that have had the same thing happen though, that is why mine is pinned

91 Galant VR4 #182/2000
00 Chevy 1500 Z71
05 Yamaha YZ250F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:54 pm 

Well, here are a couple more pics

I can get the hood fixed. I dont know how perfect it will be but it will cost me about $100. I need a winshield hook up.