It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Fan Controllers
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:39 pm 

Who has used these and what do you recommend? I saw some on Summit varying in price. I saw this one on Jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ ... rmenbr=361
I think its a digital gage that comes with it. I have TWO fans and a good place to put the sensor. I figure I can find a T and tap it in close to the engine somwhere near the intake.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:55 am 

ive always just used the lil fan control switch w/ the probe that you can get form autozone (the brand is escaping me right now), its really easy to hook up just have to adjust it so it comes on at the right temp...its alot cheaper too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:20 am 

I think the one I used was from Derale, through Summit. It has the temperature probe that sticks in the radiator fans, controls both fans, and is adjustable. Downside is that the radiator probe is not nearly as accurate as that which goes in the water jacket, and it will not let you turn the fans on at different temperatures.

So far, it has worked great for me and it cost a lot less than that one from Jegs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:58 am 
Site Admin

heres the one we sell...... its $50
has a prewired heavy duty 30a relay, all the wiring you will need, as well as a screw in temp switch (similar to the ones GM has used for years) that turns on and off at 185deg. im using this on my syclone as well as my typhoon. both are working good.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:19 pm 

The thing is I have to put a "T" in the line coming off the thermostat housing. There is a 4" hose coming off the outlet of the radiator. That I believe is the most accurate place to put it. I would never use that radiator probe that goes in the fins. Thats way too inaccurate for a high revving small turbo engine.

Where would I place a GM temp sensor? I know where the stock Temp sensor is for my car. Unfortunately I cant use that. Splicing into it would cause voltage changes and throw off the ECU.

Since the best location I have is even not perfectly accurate having a variable unit would work best. That way I can compensate for the difference. Once I get the Power FC hooked up I will know exactly what my engine temp is. For now its a mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:23 pm 

We always used adjustable thermostats with an additional a/c relay. Hayden make 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Problem is putting the sensor after the thermostat(on the return to the radiator) means it can't some on till at least the thermostat opens, and whne you talk about Ting it in, ts don't work well with coolant caust it is so easy for air bubble to sit int he high point of the T and throw sensors off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:18 pm 

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:36 am Post subject:
Problem is putting the sensor after the thermostat(on the return to the radiator) means it can't come on till at least the thermostat opens, and when you talk about Ting it in, ts don't work well with coolant caust it is so easy for air bubble to sit int he high point of the T and throw sensors off...
Cant that be correct by placing the T so that the probe faces down? As for the thermostat being closed shouldnt the fans stay off anyways? No matter what I cant get any closer to the engine than that. Unless somoene has a better idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:50 pm 

I have this fan controller

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... &langId=-1

I got the one with the thread in sender, and i had it installed on my 2001 Blazer Xtreme with a 2000 Camaro LS1 Dual fan setup and it worked great, had it setup to come on at about 170 and go off at around 165 or so and that way when i was cruising down the freeway with lots or air flow thru the rad the fans were not running, then when you get off on the side streets it heats up and then it cycles on and off to keep cool. I had it like that for almost a year till the truck got tottaled and i have hung on to ti ever since and am going to use it on my Ty with the Volvo fan kit thqat is going on in in a few weeks.

Hope this helps some.

1992 Sonoma GT #492
Under full resto W/402 LS2.

1992 Typhoon #1104
Daily Driver and Stock for now.