It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:07 am 

Thinking of going KA turbo. 2.4 L, more torque, and 400 hp at 16 psi. What do you guys think? I can sell all my SR20DET stuff and be at 400 hp or more with the money I make. The head design is cam and bucket compared to the SR's rocker arm crap design. Iron block. It makes the same power at 8 psi as the SR does at 12.

Downside...more time off the road and more work.

People have had mixed results with turboing the KA. I wouldnt do it without making the internals boost ready. SR's are proven. KA turbo is still in progression. The SR is pretty much plug and play. Proven solid motor. KA would face the same difficulties of boosting any N/A motor. There is AEM currently available for the Turbo KA.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:18 am 
Site Admin

i suspose if your gonna do some dished blower pistons it really wont matter what motor you run. sucks about the car, i know this is gonna be a huge project to get it back to the point it was at.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:06 am 

I think I'd just keep the SR since you already have it all worked out. Just seems like it would be the easier option for now. Of course, I have absolutely no clue about this type of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:19 pm 

maybe this will pursuade you

http://www.team-octane.net/turbokaultimate.zip

all ka-t's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:14 am 

I dont know yet. SR has distributorless ignition vs. the KA. There are some obvious trade-offs for each. SR's are pretty much fail safe. And I already have one. KA's can make better power. I already have the engine management for the SR. Im familiar with it too. Both would are great. I just would love to have the torque the KA makes. Given I would be going from 9.5:1 compression to 9:1 compression if I were to make it handle boost Im not sure how much off boost torque I would lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

you will notice very little, if any difference in that small of a compresison drop.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:16 pm 

I probably will never be able to decide. As much as I would like to do a KA-Turbo I already have alot of work cut out for me. I just want something reliable. Even poeple that know alot about KA's have blown them up. But parts are better now. Pistons are much improved. Better cams are available. Kyle Benetts car put down 360 rwhp on stock cams and shitty ECU at 16 psi. An SR with cams, and a good tune will do that. With cams and a good ECU over 400 should be a snap. A torquey, streetable 400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:41 pm 

For your goals, you will definately need to build the internals. How far is up to you. From my level of knowledge about the KA (admittedly less than the SR), I would think you could get away with just pistons. You will lose the rev-happiness of the SR but will gain torque.
Quote:
It makes the same power at 8 psi as the SR does at 12.
You can't make that claim that broadly since there are a lot more variables that go into that. Scott's stock-bottom SR was running about the same boost pressure as Ryan's built KA-T and Scott's car was making about 140 more HP (granted, Scott's run was on race gas).

Anyways, the torque is a huge difference on the street, but will make it a bit harder to keep from blowing the tires off at the strip. Even with a slight compression drop, the KA-T will have a bit better response (less lag, better off-boost, etc) than the SR. It will also be marginally heavier up front.

Either way, don't think of it in terms of SR/KA-T. Think of how you want your car, do you want to take your current SR and exaggerate it's powerband from 4,000rpm up, or do you want a car that is just torquey as a mofo (kind of like my dad's 951).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:38 am 

I want maximum area under the curve. But from what Ive been hearing its hard to keep these KA-T's on the road. Im gonna need some big tires.