It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: PTE internal wastegate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:50 pm 

How good does the PTE internal wastegate work? Should I use it OR make a new down pipe with a external or can i get away with it or??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

What application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:06 pm 

I didn't post the info 'cause i thought e would answer DUH! pte 61 for a Typhoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:25 am 
Site Admin

the internal works awesome..... i have personally used it on a PT52 and a PT74 on a syclone, and both times it worked flawlessly up to 20PSI. i found the boost would fluctuate if my fueling wasnt exactly right, but fine tuning really smoothed it out. also, i wasnt running a boost controller..... just looped the actualtor to the pressure outlet. im sure it would have been rock solid if i had any kind of controller on it. i have been playing with a lot of DSM's lately, and found basically the same thing. every application i have seen using the PTE internal works awesome. i know there are a few trucks runnin around with spuratic boost, and complaining about the internal setup..... but id bet my left ass cheak its because their tune sucks.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:11 pm 

Thanks e, I didn't really feel like making a new downpipe! I will have to get one of little brass boost controlers then. I don't want to use a electronic boost controller yet as I am using a DFI. I have a used wastegate for sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

i got those boost valves too. they already have the large 1/4" ends on them so they fit that oversized PTE silicone vacume line. they are on the site, just click the price to pay, and ill drop one in the mail for ya.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:05 pm 

I have to pay???? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:39 am 

e-rue what exhaust setup did those DSM's have? I've been having no luck with my TSi and a small 16. Seems the lowest I can hold is 18. It's held 12 with a piss poor tune. When it running right I usually creep up to 22... Gets real happy on sub 15° nights... 24-27psi. DSMLink shows little to no knock most times, but I want some control of the boost on the next turbo.

I have been ready to buy a SCM50 and just can't decide if an internal gate would work. I'd really like to be able run a set boost level, instead of too high and, extra dangerous. I don't know which way to go. If I could get an internal with a 1-1.2 BAR base that works that could work. Ofcourse if the price is the close to the same an external might be a better call.

Currently running a dumped, 3", catless, with 2 resonators for mufflers(one says Magnaflow). Going to install an Edelbrock muffler soon. I would like to reroute the WG back into the exhaust at some point.

Love to get some input here.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:08 am 

what about the flow characteristics of external vs internal? Does routing some of that exhaust around the turbine nozzle help? I know for a small flanges it matters. I figure a T03 flange is already pretty big for a 2.0L as it is. I like internal b/c dumping the waste gate is too loud for my taste. Some people like it but. I would prefer the ease of an internal and not have to worry about fabricating some fancy schmancy piping back into the downpipe.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:52 am 
Site Admin

this post is about syclone and typhoon PTE turbos with internal gates, but the DSM setup is very similar. to answer your question, the PTE internal gate works really well on a DSM. the hole and puck are very large and a straight thru design. most cars can be tuned to have a low 14psi base boost pressure, with little to no fluctuation. most issues with this setup are caused by an over tight wastegate rod giving too high of a base boost, or tuning issues where the fueling mix changes dramatically across the rpm range. even then, the fluctuation is minimal. there is also an option for a standard pressure actuator, rather than the high pressure version that will give around 12psi base boost vs. 15 from the high pressure version. since a DSM can typically run 18 psi on pump gas, we usually use the high pressure actuator, and set it for 16psi.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:05 pm 

Quote:
e-rue what exhaust setup did those DSM's have? I've been having no luck with my TSi and a small 16. Seems the lowest I can hold is 18. It's held 12 with a piss poor tune. When it running right I usually creep up to 22... Gets real happy on sub 15° nights... 24-27psi. DSMLink shows little to no knock most times, but I want some control of the boost on the next turbo.

I have been ready to buy a SCM50 and just can't decide if an internal gate would work. I'd really like to be able run a set boost level, instead of too high and, extra dangerous. I don't know which way to go. If I could get an internal with a 1-1.2 BAR base that works that could work. Ofcourse if the price is the close to the same an external might be a better call.

Currently running a dumped, 3", catless, with 2 resonators for mufflers(one says Magnaflow). Going to install an Edelbrock muffler soon. I would like to reroute the WG back into the exhaust at some point.

Love to get some input here.

Sam
What size flapper do you have on the 16g? have you upgraded to the ported wastegate passage with a 34mm flapper, if not the normal 16g gate sucks and will creep on a lot of applications. That is why you see so many upgrade to the larger flapper

PTE's internal gates for the dsm I believe are 38mm, a very larger gate when you consider i went to a tial 38mm on my car just so i can run 35psi+. I ran the internal pte gate on an scm50 and gt35r and both held rock solid from 13psi to 30psi. My exhuast setup is a 3" o2 eliminator o2 housing with a 3" downpipe with a cutout right before the cat. cutout open or closed the car didn't creep but maybe 1psi which isn't anything.

The pte dsm internal gate you can have anything from a around 13psi base to a mid to low 20 base by just adjusting the rod. The internal setup is a WHOLE lot cheaper in the end. What kind of o2 housing do you run on your car?

91 Galant VR4 #182/2000
00 Chevy 1500 Z71
05 Yamaha YZ250F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:55 pm 

The O2 housing is a VRS.(the whole exhaust is the VRS O2 elimnated turbo back 3") Tubular, with the wastegate dumped. The turbo has the 34mm flapper. When I first tried running the turbo I had huge troubles with overboosting. I found this was because the O2 housing's dump tube was positioned and sized in a way that once the flapper would open to around 45° it would be blocking flow in the tube... It would go from closed, poor flowing, to closed. I have ported the turbine housing, and gasket matched the outlet side, then modified the O2 housing. I have no doubt this may be a some part of my continuing troubles. I am going to make an entirely new O2 housing as soon as the S is back up.

The wastegate will start to open around 7psi with the (spring ball) boost controller off. It will hold 12psi untill around 4000rpm. By 6000rpm it is usually to 17-18psi and then creeps to 20-22 by 7000rpm. I put the boost controller on to start opening around 18, if it's going to 20+ reguardless, why not...

I have had a few days when the car just felt different. One of these days I tried pulling the boost controller off. The thing would hold 12psi solid. But, it never fails that the next day it back to it's old ways. I think the WG is some kinda bound or bad. I've not been too worried as 20psi is seemingly not a bad place to be. I do plan on working out several things with the TSi once I get the S-10's vibration issue found and fixed.

DSM Turbos can you PM a price on the internal gated SCM50. It's gonna be my B-Day soon! :wink: