It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Strut bars
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:53 am 

Any added value having a strut bar run normally then having two connectors hooking into the firewall? if you need an example its done alot in rx-7's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:49 pm 

I guess it depends on the car. Ive done research on chassis strenthening for my car. Depending on who makes the stuff the claim it does "this" and "that." Best thing to do is talk to people who have used the stuff that know when a chassis is flexing or not.

I've heard that a chassis is weak at the firewall. Ive seen triangular braces that bolt behind the fenders like these that aid in that.
Those style strut tower bars may do something similar. I run no chassis strengthening and dont seem to have problem with it. I see strut tower bars, as probably beneficial, but more of a part people seem to think they need b/c they see other people with them on their cars.

Chassis bracing is kind of ambiguous. People dont actively test or prove alot of it. I dont see alot of public tech. information out there either. At best you get "My car FEELS stiffer now." Unless someone put a chassis on a machine that actively twists and flexes it Im not sure if there is any real proof out there. If there is please forward it to me.

Any time something is triangulated it will be stronger. But its hard to know what the exact dynamics of the chassis under stress. I would think that the ones that bolt to the firewall will add more support.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:21 pm 

Damn not going to make this easy on me. I guess its trial and error testing. Just my own mind wondering it would seem like the firewall would be a weak portion to the body the strut bar is being custom made so I may add the connections to the firewall as wide as possible on the strut bar. But I cannot come over too far due to the brake booster. The battery was going to be moved to the trunk anyways so I'm not worried about that.

I think I need a picture with some paint editing to show exactly what im taking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:12 am 

I would think that the bar is using the firewall as a brace instead of the firewall being supported by the bar.

I would just do a little more research before buying anything. Besides, even if the firewall is a weak area, it isnt going to get much better by only bracing the top.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"