It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:17 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: 2006 GRM $2006 Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:52 pm 

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/ne ... challenge/

I have decided since I picked up a 92 TSi for $400 that I should enter this challenge. It's all about cheap speed. I have just about a year to prepare this car. I'm not asking for money. I will need help more than money.

I've spent about $20 on the car for parts since I've owned it. I am looking for cheap parts for a DSM. The focus areas are going to be suspension, exhaust, and a larger turbo. I think I have a pretty good shot at least at getting a picture in the magazine.

So if anyone has anything to help me out with or in labor(anyone who contributes will be mentioned), sadly i cannot get things at cost. It has to be a fair market value.

And I'm open to new ideas too. So yell out about anything.

I hope no one has seen all 4 of these posts on all the sites i visit. If you do, you get a prize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

well right off the bat, several things i can think of.

you need a free flowing exhaust to make max power on a DSM, but they are expensive. make your own downpipe that just points straight at the ground and ends there. you dont need no stinking exhaust :) you can use the upper portion of a stock downpipe for this mod. just cut it off about a foot down and have a straight pipe welded on it.

dont use a large turbo..... keep it simple, as spoolup will be important to the autocross event. one of the new dual ballbearing 50 trims would be nice. the cool thing about this event is that you have to have a well rounded car. typically things that do well in autocross dont dragrace well. its awesome that you have to do both. keep that in mind when your choosing your parts.

engine management systems are expensive, but chip tuning is free. get up with a local chip tuning guru to avoid buying an SAFC or LINK system. your gonna need a good race gas tune cause stock boost levels wont give you a chance against higher HP cars like the mustang/camaro.

cams are expensive, but DIY port work is cheap and easy. i can help with that. you can also check on adv/retard the cams to make max power by modifying the stock gears rather than buying new ones.

completely strip the car down to nothing inside and out. no need for anything thats not structural or speed related. get it light, and huge HP numbers wont be as critical.

try to set your self some goals as to how much you want to spend in what areas. the budget is important, cause im sure they will check it out really well.

e

Last edited by e-rue on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:35 pm 

thats the funny part. you arent just graded on speed. looks count also, so if i strip the interior(which already looks good for its age) im killing myself on points.

This years winner was an FC with a ford v8. not even sure what kind but its carbed. the drag time was 11.6. and it came in 3rd on the strip, 8th in the autox, but first in appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:27 pm 

Dude. dont forget brakes and suspension.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"