It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: roomate wanted
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

I'm looking for a roommate..... and i know that should be simple but its not really that simple. I really want to find the "right" person that will click with the rest of the group, have a good time living here, make some new friends, and have some new adventures. Life can be a lot of fun, and it's even better with the right people.

people:

there are normally 4 people here. all of which are interesting and fun. one is a female from upstate NY that just finished her masters in med school, and is working as a therapist, another is a female from Ukrain completing a work abroad management program. I work as a building systems engineer designing pharmaceutical facilities, and I go to ECU part time working on an industrial engineering degree. I already have an architecture degree, and the only thing i have ever really used it for, is designing this big crazy house. 4 people might seem like a lot but its actually really relaxed here. we all work a lot during the week, and there's so much square footage sometimes i go for days without seeing my roomies.

situation:

A few years ago i got divorced and the only way i can justify keeping this much house is to have some roomies to help with the bills and have some fun hanging out. Its too much space to have just for me anyway, and so far it has worked out really well.

the house:

i think the house is the best thing ever, but i am kinda biased. lol. The heated and cooled living space is just less than 4000sqft. The upper level has 2 large bedrooms, with 2 office/studios, and a jack and jill style "shared" bathroom. The middle level has the master suite, a library, laundry room, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, and covered deck overlooking the creek and greenway. The lower level has a huge living room, bar, another bedroom, and a bathroom. (lots of pictures below)

amenities:

you will have plenty of personal space. your bedroom will only be used by you. The lower level bathroom is the only one on the lower floor, but is rarely used by anyone. There is a cleaning crew that cleans the house every other Tuesday. There is a landscaping co. that comes and cuts the grass and takes care of the yard weekly. there is an automation and security system, LED lighting, separate HVAC system for each floor, natural stone baths, hardwood trim, washer/dryer, stone fireplace, and large windows. The middle section of the house is open to 3 floors like an atrium, with a structural steel and glass window wall cased in oak harvested from the trees we removed during construction. The greenway system runs along the rear of the property, and is easily accessible via the paved connector. The rear deck overlooks a lush green hardwood forest. We are on a 4 acre tract of hardwoods that's home to 3 different types of owls, and an occasionally curious racoon. The property is within walking distance of old downtown bars and restaurants. (approximately 1 mile)

the process:

I screen the people I am willing to live with really well to try and rule out any crazies. In all fairness it takes trust to live with people, and its hard to live with people that you don't already know..... and frankly craigs list is full of nuts. this whole process kinda reminds me of an interview at work. you want to get the know the person as much as possible before committing, and even then you wonder if you know enough about them. when we talk, i hope you will ask me lots of questions too, because as much as i don't want to live with crazies, i'm sure you don't want to move in with a weirdo either. This usually works with several emails back and forth, and if all sounds well, we bring you in to meet the group and and tour the house. Please send an initial email with as much information as you are comfortable sharing..... name, age, education, work, hobbies, habits, ect..... basically what makes you, YOU!!

the deal:

Our 4th person has just finished moving out (she was here for 4 years), and the space is available now. $600 includes everything. rent, utilities, cleaning, internet..... everything but food. you have a private fully furnished room, (12x13 bedroom), a slightly shared bathroom, and the usual shared common areas with the group. There is no lease, but we would like at least 30 days notice and a deposit equal to 1 months rent. Short term or long term is fine. please be clean, have a job, and pay on time, no pets, no parties, and don't break/abuse the house or the people living here. if you break the rules you have to go.

Last edited by e-rue on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: roomate wanted
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

atrium space:

the atrium is tricky to try and photograph because its so tall and i cant get far enough away to get all of it in a picture. in the atrium is the living room on the lower level, the library on the middle level, 2 sets of floating steel staircases, and a third floor office/studio overlooking it all.

Last edited by e-rue on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

exterior:

the outside is modern, with accents of brazilian slate on the exterior. we don't have a ton of parking so guests will probably have to park down by the road. We are sitting on an acer of property in a hardwood forest just outside old downtown cary. the house overlooks a creek, and the town of cary greenway system runs along side the creek, so if you like to walk or bike, it can take you all the way to lake crabtree! half of the deck is covered, and the other half is in the sun.

(sorry a couple of these pictures are from construction, i need to take some new ones, there is no pile of gravel sitting in the driveway now)

Last edited by e-rue on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin

kitchen:

the kitchen has an oversized refrigerator and freezer, conglomerate stone counters, convection oven and matching microwave.

laundry:

the laundry room is huge, and equipped with a washer, dryer, basin sink with sprayer, and lots of counter top space.

library:

the library overlooks the lower level and has 2 large bookcases, seating, and a small table.

Last edited by e-rue on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

master suite:

i don't know why i'm showing the master, other than i'm kinda proud of the house..... it took a lot of heart and a ton of time to design and build it.

Last edited by e-rue on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

your lower level bedroom:

The lower level bedroom is roughly 12x13. The closet has an adjustable steel system that can be somewhat reconfigured to meet your needs. i have lots of spare parts! The lower level bathroom has a beautiful natural stone shower with full sized conglomerate counter tops. The lower level naturally stays about 5deg cooler than the rest of the house. In the warmer months it's wonderful, but it can be a touch cool in the winter if you are cold natured.

Last edited by e-rue on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

automation system:

the automation system handles, security, fire alarm, HVAC, LED and egress lighting, and it will eventually handle the rainwater recycling system if i ever finish building it.

network:

gigabit switch, with (2) enterprise wireless access points, cat 6 at all AV boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

people

e

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Admin