It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:04 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:06 pm 

I doubt anyone remembers me but e-rue but i came down and visited a few years ago, with plans on hopefully moving to the area... unfortunately my luck has had other plans for me and i'm still in NJ..

Anyhow, awhile ago i bought a 98 legacy gt, thinking hey they all have subarus and love them, why don't i give one a try.

so i drove it for awhile then all of a sudden one day while my girlfriend was driving home from work it broke... and by broke i mean in a weird, unusual way for a subaru:

hmm what is wrong with this picture!?

so i decided to tear into it, due to it being an interference motor i figured i'd see what kind of damage was done.

here you can see what the pulley did to the timing cover:

here is the best part:

yes that is the bolt that holds the cam pulley to the cam, sheered off inside the cam.

speaking of which, if anyone happens to have a spare L-IN (left intake) cam pulley, i need one, the cheaper the better!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:09 pm 

so i decided i would tear into the motor and see what i could find:

please post your opinions on the following pics as they will help me decide where i go from here:

intake valves look ok, can't tell by eye that they are bent (if they are)

the head gasket, i believe it is MLS, which sucks because i did not get a replacement MLS gasket.. hell did these come with mls gaskets from the factory?

piston #1

i'm not sure you can see but there are small dimples on the surface of the piston from the valves, overall it looks ok though!?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 pm 

piston #2

top of the head

valves:

I already picked up a junkyard motor, my thinking is i'll hopefully be able to make one motor out of the two.. since unfortunately i can't afford to do anything else at the moment. :(

any help/suggestions is much appriciated, especially if someone happens to have a spare L-IN cam pulley laying around :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:53 pm 

so i'm still hunting for a left side (passenger) cam intake pulley.. if anyone has one or knows where to get one please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Looks liek somebody int he past installed the cam bolts with a impact :(

I will look around the shop for a passenger intake pulley that will work on the older setup.

those valves look liek they kissed the piston, best to remove them and check for bent. piston/shortblock shoudl be fine as long as no trash got in.

Great time to do the timing belt and put in a new tensioner

This is Mark, i used to be E's roomate I think i was driving the old cop car when you came down here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Admin

probably gonna need the cam, that pulley, a subaru engine gasket set, and a bunch of vavles.

now would be a good time to reseal the engine. the rear separator plate and cam seals are probably leaking by now. would be good to go ahead and get a complete engine gasket set and go thru it. you really dont want an aftermarket gasket set because it wont come with the correct stuff. give us a ring if you need some parts. 919-460-5700

e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 am 

shit, wish i knew the aftermarket gasket set might contain the wrong parts..

I picked one up and i was planning on resealing everything anyway based on previous discussions with E...

I already started swapping the valves from one set of heads into mine..

I'm still looking for the pulley, someone local said they had it, but of course my luck they are not responding to emails.

If i end up needing something or there is anything i should do while i'm in there aside from all the seals and the whole timing belt setup, let me know and i'll place the order.