It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 am 
Site Admin

its painted!

e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 am 
Site Admin

its going back together!!!!

e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Admin

its done, and im so happy right now!

e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 am 
Site Admin

spent most of the day tuning roman forester and my forester. both have built engines and run really well. you can see from these pictures how different the back of the car looks with the color matched panels and all the badges removed.

e

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:17 am 
Site Admin

engine has to come back out again.... as it turns out the piston/wall clearances that come with the manley pistons are wrong and overly conservative. this makes for noisy pistons and also occasional puff of oil at startup.

additionally, manley sent total seal gapless rings for these pistons, which do not work in a subaru application/ street car. the oil consumption is out of hand, and i worry about feeding that much oil back thru the inlet and what it does to the spark plugs and fuel octane. unfortunately making the clearance smaller is extreemly hard compared to making it bigger. at this point im gonna punt..... throwing together a quick and dirty 2.5 bottom end with forged pistons to bolt my heads to. gonna save the crazy unicorn shortblock for another project down the road. possibly a factory 5 car or something similar.

e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

car is back together with the new 2.5 shortblock. the top end was reused. The car just hit 1500 miles, and its doing great. I'm really happy with it. new pistons/rings are definitely a huge improvement. very quiet, with no oil consumption.

e

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

New engine still doing well. Crower Cams has really screwed a bunch of us over and i wish i had the time to file a case against them. Their cams have hardness issues and have failed in many of our engines. We sent them out to have them hardness tested and found them to be a full 10 points off. They have so far been unwilling to work with us on any resolution. I will never buy another one of their products.

The rebuilt engine went together with a set of GSC stage 1's. Slightly more duration than i was wanting, but its better to have a camshaft that wont fail than to be able to design my own grinds. Maybe in another life when i have infinite time and money ill design some more subaru cams and have them made by a company that wont fail so badly like Crower did.

Car is tuned up to about 9 psi, and thats about as far as i am really comfortable with since it pegs the stock air fuel sensor in this range. I installed a wideband but im having all kinds of problems getting it to datalog when the Cobb hasp key and the accessport are both plugged in.

e

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

So........ many years ago when i was in high school, i worked for a place called Pro Electronics on South Saunders street, just outside of downtown Raleigh. At the time, car stereo was very popular, and i had a blast, pushing my abilities in a semi professional environment. I learned so much about 12v electronics while i was there. After i had been there a year or 2, we bought some software called Bassbox 5.0. This was a huge step in the right direction because previously the only way to design enclosures was to do the math long hand, and hope that you got what you wanted for frequency response, and hope that you didn't make any math mistakes. After playing with the software for quite a while, i learned that if i chose a 7th order bandpass enclosure that i had 4 separate variables to play with , and that if i adjusted them incrementally that i could create large efficiency peaks thru a limited bandwidth, as well as greatly extend the low end efficiency of the speakers. On several of the designs i had between 6 and 9 db increases in efficiency thru a range of 25-80hz. (as a point of reference a 3db gain is essentially doubling your output) The really cool thing is that a car will naturally emphasize the 90-140hz range and it would always "color" the sound. So a work around became building boxes that emphasized the frequency response below that point to get a more flat response, as well as the really deep bass that most every speaker loses as the frequency lowers. At this point I realized I am able to take into consideration the acoustics of a car as well as recover the low end most systems lose by efficiency losses below 45hz.

so..... i built this really trick little speaker box with 2 tiny little 6.5" Orion XTR subwoofers. I didnt think it would be super loud but i was hoping to prove a point, and show off a little. The box was tuned so low that it would literally play perfectly flat all the way to the point where the speakers frequency response became the limiting factor. This box sat in the display room at Pro electronics for years, for many reasons. First it was really cool, and it was fun to show off how deep and loud a pair of 6.5" subs can play, rattling the walls (we didnt really want to sell it) 2nd, This box was kind of expensive because i spent so much time playing with it and building it, and the speakers were kinda pricey way back then too.

fast forward to 2008..... i ran into one of the crack heads i used to work with at Pro Electronics, because i was using him to polish compressor covers for me on the high end turbochargers. He was extremely unreliable and ended up screwing me over on a couple turbos, and cheating me out of some money. Just prior to us having a "falling out" he pointed out to me that he had been able to "acquire" the speaker box that i built so many years ago, when we worked together. Apparently it had been bought and sold a few times and he came across it many years later. I bought it from him OF COURSE. To me it was so awesome to get something from way back in the day..... that i spent so much heart and soul creating. I had so much fun designing and building this thing, and i was REALLY excited to get it back.

when i got it home and installed it into my typhoon i immediately noticed that it was fucked. the frequency response was so far off it sounded terrible. I rode around with it like that for about a year and then the stock typhoon engine blew up. The typhoon sat in the vacant land that i later built my dream house on, while i worked on building a nice new engine for it. i was almost done and literally bolting the heads on the finished shortblock when a tree fell on the typhoon. I was so disappointed...... many years later i sold the typhoon still squished with a half complete engine. I just never could justify the time and money it would take to fix it correctly.... but the speaker box was sitting in my shop "hiding" in the corner.

so fast forward to now.... my whole world has changed over the last few years...... i'm divorced, dont have a lot of money because of how much i have to pay every month to my x/kids, i sold turbotime to a friend of mine to get away from all the "crazy"...... and I'm dating a younger asian girl that i really like a lot, who also loves car stereo. Next thing i know, i find myself digging thru the old TT garage looking for this "magic" box that's been thru hell and back. I take the cover off of it, and what the fuck do you know? The guy i used to work with has changed out the speakers for something totally different, then signed the inside with his name and cell number, taking credit for my work...... or maybe he was just taking credit for screwing it up? who knows..... that guy was always such a crack head. anyway......

So the first thing i do is a little research online. I contact Orion and of course they are no help at all..... in fact they are probably as usless as AT&T's customer service. Next i try ebay to buy some 6.5" XTR's with no luck. So i find some other brands online and eventually settle on something that has published specs online. I totally redesign the box over about 6 hours of playing off and on when i have the time, (the software has changed so much i had to do a bunch of reading to come up to speed on it) and as luck has it, i was able to re-tune the original enclosure with only some minor woodworking and new port tuning frequencies. the outside dimensions are "almost" the exact same. So i ordered new 6.5" speakers, and started undoing everything retard did to my box.

.....and now starts my car stereo adventure on my 05 forester

e

Last edited by e-rue on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

So after about 2 days playing with different designs, i decided to spend the time to turn this "voo-doo" box back into something every bit as cool as it was back in the day. Ordered my new speakers, and an amp install kit, then got busy test fitting everything in the forester. the size is great because it is just thin enough to miss the rear strut tower brace, and give me enough clearance to fire the ports out from both sides. I also quickly figured out where the amp rack was going to be, how i was going to build it, and how everything would be secured to the car.

e

Last edited by e-rue on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

heres a shot after removing the "stoopid" speakers, and old port tubes. the tubes inside are the new 21" long ports. they are just laying inside so my 2 year old doesn't play with them.

e

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

made some more progress on voo-doo box. got all the excess glue scraped off, then vacuumed it out. we thinned some polyurethane and coated the inside to make the old MDF rock hard. had some really great help from my favorite little girl.

e

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

today me and jenn built the inner bracing pieces and mounted them. it kinda looks like swiss cheese, but its bracing to make the walls rigid and it also locates the really long ports on the inside so they cant come loose and fall inside the box when the car is riding down the road.

e

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

working a lot on getting all the ports cut into the box, and filling in any holes from the previous setup.

e

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

finished up all the ports, then sanded everything down and used a polyurethane to seal the MDF and plywood.

e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Admin

old trick from way back in the day...... how to create your own gaskets.

take a tube of clear silicone, apply a nice fat bead around the surface, then place wax paper over the silicone, then place the door on top of it and gently press down and allow to dry. once the silicone is completely dry remove all the wax paper and you have a reusable attached gasket!

e

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next