It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:24 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Admin

shortblock is finished!

these big pistons with small block chevy rings are so cool! and the ceramic coating isnt too bad either. you can see the oil squirters that only come on EJ22 blocks in the bottom of the bores.

e

Last edited by e-rue on Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 am 
Site Admin

im kinda jumping around, but back to the cylinder heads!

lots of port work going on. i thought i was done with them but ended up wanting a hair more in the intake side. the chambers are really unique on these heads, more curvature around the valves. they are 09 WRX. the top and bottom angles on the valve job were blended back into the walls and chambers, and the chambers were polished out.

e

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Admin

inked the seats and lapped the valves in so i could be sure i have everything just exactly right.

e

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Admin

ran them thru the parts washer then hosed em down to get ready for assembly. this is an old valve seat machine thats no longer used, but it works great for assembling heads. the springs are manley beehive with tiny little titanium retainers. very trick.

e

Last edited by e-rue on Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Admin

went thru the long process of measring the bucket clearance with the cams in, and cutting the vavle stems as needed.

e

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Admin

got a 12mm oil pump from japan and totally disassembled it. radiused all the oil passages and shimmed the bypass spring, cleaned it really well, hit it with a little assembly lube, then reassembled it.

e

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Admin

everything is cleaned and laid out ready for assembly..... this is the cool part because it goes so fast compared to all the custom stuff. The camshafts are custom grind, reverse pattern, E85 friendly. i designed them, and sent my spec's to crower, and 6 weeks later i had camshafts! i like the picture with ryan and roman, they look so happy :)

e

Last edited by e-rue on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:29 am 
Site Admin

e

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Admin

now that the engine is finished and on a stand, its time to remove the old tired engine from the car!

e

Last edited by e-rue on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Admin

The engine is out of the car now and its time to swap over the intake manifold and prep these 09 heads. need to tap in a fitting for the oil return, and put pipe plugs in the air pump ports.

e

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

its assembled and ready to go back into the car!
new lines for the turbo setup. wanted to convert over to a braided oil return. the downpipe inst new but i thought it looked cool sitting on the floor. i almost forgot all the work i put into fabbing that turbo kit. I got a new turbo for it because the old one was having a seal issues and leaking oil from the exhaust side...... but it was really a good thing because every few years turbo technology gets better. my new turbo is a precision 55/57 with light weight billet compressor wheel, an air cooled ceramic dual ballbearing center section (no water lines) and the latest 3D turbine technology. should spoolup super fast. the cooling fins on the center section are really funny.... iv never seen that before. both of the kids are really ready for a ride in the fast wagon. naomi even helped me wash it :)

e

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Admin

i'm not having much luck lately..... as ryan mentioned, the boring process for installing aftermarket sleeves is really aggressive and after the engine came up to temperature a hairline crack on the rear of the cases started leaking coolant. i was completely wiped out after 3 days of install/fab to get this thing together. luckily ryan and matt helped me out by removing the trans and welding the crack closed.... i was too tired to participate.

once that little snafu was taken care of there was an ordeal with a bad O2 sensor that had a malfunctioning heater circuit. once that was replaced it drove like a champ. the tune was already in the ballpark and only required minor tweeking.

so i was driving it around and had almost 200 miles on it and all the drivability tuning complete, and i managed to find someone that had absolutely no business driving a car. i went to the mcdonalds, and an old guy with a handicap tag, backed into the side of my car..... meanwhile i'm watching it in slow motion. blowing the horn like crazy and yelling out the window. course he didn't hear his back up monitors going off, why would he listen to my horn blowing, or me screaming at him. so...... now my hotrod is at the bodyshop getting a new paintjob. it needed a headlight, and some paint work from the dingaling at mcdonalds. i figured what the hell, and decided to get the entire car painted, debadged, and all the imperfections removed from it. several of the weird grey parts are being color matched white, or getting painted black. also doing something with these crazy big mudflaps..... either taking them off or cutting them down in size. stay tuned for bodywork photos ;)

e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

started on the body work! jed shooter at thompson is making him beautiful again.

e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

the front bumper cover has holes for moutning a vanity tag..... those are going away, and all the emblems have allignment holes in the sheetmetal. those are being welded shut. should be smooth and slick when its done.

e

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Admin

almost ready for paint!

e

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next