It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Admin

sealed some more of the surfaces that didn't originally get a coat of urethane..... not sure how i did it but i forgot to coat the door. no worries its done now! (front and back, all 4 sides)

e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Admin

this is a tool not everyone will have, i mainly use it for porting cylinder heads, but it works for radiusing the port entries too...... that took a while, theres quite a few ports on this project.

e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Admin

now that the box is constructed, all the ports are test fitted, and the wood is sealed with urethane, its time to start permanently mounting everything. I started with mounting the speakers since its easier to do when the ports are not in...... i can get them in after the fact, but its definitely easier now. next i started permanently gluing the ports into the box and center supports....... oops i didnt fix my hair today.

e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Admin

today i started building the amp rack, and i also test fitted the box again to make sure it slides under the strut tower brace.

[img]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Admin

lastly i wired the speakers..... nothing too exciting here, but an important step. i always like to slightly crimp my connectors for an extra snug fit. i don't want to have to take this apart later because of a poor connection.

e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am 
Site Admin

so the box is fully assembled, and the only thing left to do before installing it into the car is to paint it. i didn't see the kind of paint i wanted at lowes..... i was looking for something with a texture so that it wouldnt be tempted to slip, even tho im mounting it to the car....... so i made my own. bought a bag of playsand (very fine) for $3 and a small can of oil based industrial enamel. then i mixed the sand into the paint with a mixing stick and gave the entire box a thorough coat. i taped off the silicone gasket so that i didnt get anything inbetween the gasket and the back of the door. i want a true air tight seal. also painted the amprack while i was at it :)

e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Admin

one last look inside before installing the cover and taking it inside for testing. i have a home theater system inside with a separate subwoofer amp and adjustable crossover, so i can play with it and see what it sounds like. this is the exciting part because i always like to make sure its right before spending a lot of time installing it in the car only to find it needs one more little tweek, or i forgot something, or whatever.

e

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

box is good!

sounds amazing inside..... hope it turns out as good inside the car :)

so i started by removing the baby seats, and the spare tire. im not thrilled about not having a spare, but i got free towing on the insurance and i know im not going to move the stereo to change a tire on the side of the road anyway, so might as well throw this in the garage. who knows i might set it in the back if i take a long trip or something.

the box sits tight under the rear strut brace. when i screw the amp rack piece to the front, the strut tower brace holds it down as well as sits tight against the amp rack and keeps it from sliding forward or backwards.

e

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

took the stock head unit out, removed the driver seat and all the trim pieces down the driver side of the car. ran a power wire from the battery, a remote turn on, 2 sets of rca's and a pair of speaker wires from the amp rack to the head unit. also started working on getting the new Alpine head unit mounted to the factory brackets. I drilled a few extra holes so that i could mount the under tray under the Alpine. makes a nice place to sit my iphone while im driving.

e