It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Admin

this thing is really close to running..... stay tuned for some new pics!

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:05 am 

OOHH, the teaser email...you bastard! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:43 am 
Site Admin

well, finally making some progress. troy came into town and helped me turn some wrenches and figure out some of the wiring he had done on the car. we had to make some crazy custom lower fittings by center drilling a bolt with an odd thread pitch on the lathe and welding it to a -6 steel fitting at a tight 90deg angle so that the lines would clear the trans tunnel. theres almost no room in the tunnel for a bigger transmission. very tight fit. the last upper heater core line was made with starlite lightweight hose,(thanks to buena) and the fan controller was finished up with its own GM temp sensor. the new fan controller varries the fan speed based on a coolant temp sensor so that it only runs at high speed when the car is getting really hot. yes, i know its dusty from sitting too long. i promise to clean it before you come to get it troy. :)

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Admin

after a little touch up paint from welding in the steel an fittings for the turbo oil returns, and some an caps, the motor was ready for fluids.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:33 am 
Site Admin

got all the wiring taken care of.... just a little cleaning up to do on the inside under the dash if i have time. This is a picture of the trick distribution block by the battery. it has (4) 80A fuses that feed
1. the new fans, controllers and relays
2. the car stereo feeder that goes to the truck area
3. a new power feed that goes under the dash to a smaller fused distribution block so he can power all the added items on this car with out all the wiring tabs jammed into the small existing fuse block. (this is what i still need to work on if i have time before troy comes to pick it up next saturday) the fuse block by the battery has a current triggered blue LED display of voltage as well as individual LED indicators of fuse status. if a fuse blows teh indicator goes out.

on the inside of the car we made an 1/8 aluminum bracket that mounts over the glove box that holds the TCU as well as the ECU, and a new fuse block on the bottom side that you can see from by lookin gup under the dash. once teh dash is back on the car you wont be able to see either the ECU or TCU.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

this fuse block is mounted on the bottom of the aluminum bracket we made to hold the ECU and TCU. both the yellow wires go to 30a relays that are triggered by an ignition input so that the devices being powered are feed from teh new 8awg we ran form the battery rather than the old school stock fuse box.

first trip out in the car. ryan drove, buena sat in the middle, and i sat by the door and operated the lap top. the stock map only needed minor tweeking, and the car ran like a champ. im gonna do a little more tweeking onc ei can figure out to get the datalog to actually save a file tha ti can go back and studdy, but im impressed how well it worked right out of the box.

stoopid lap top didnt save teh datalog!

mark couldnt help but throw in a photo of the bikes with the chevelle

"i think the canooter valve is broken!"

ok actually we were adjusting the parking brake so that it would work. also looked at the electronic speedo..... hmmm thats gonna take some studdying since the clipend was already cut off it at some point, i cant see where the wires used to go. gonna have to find a schematic before i start wiring on the speedo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

well the last big hurdle was the charging issues. unfortunately the charging issue was a learning experience for several of us. just because an aftermarket alternator says it makes 200 amps dont believe that crap. especially if its some cheap ass powermaster alternator. iv had nothing but bad luck with them. stick with GM for alternators. the 120a GM we bought fixed all the problems we had with the other 2 alternaotrs (one from autozone and one from powermaster) the car has gone back to tennessee and hopefully troy is enjoying it right now. cant wait to hear what kinda milage it gets with the correct thermostat and the new 4 speed.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:20 am 

Good work guys!

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:30 pm 

Quote:
Okay, so the car is now officially in the TurboTime garage!

Here is what we are going to improve upon:

~ 300 RWHP & 350 RWTQ
An average of 13 mpg on the interstate
and a 13.8 @ 97mph
Alright. Now that I have some miles on the Chevelle, here are the results:

Around town mpg: ~10
180 mile round trip, with 7 passes down the 1/4mile: ~14mpg
1/4 mile results: 14.1 @ 98mph

The gas mileage on the interstate is definitely up! Around town doesn't show anything since it doesn't shift into 4th and overdrive until over 55mph.
The 1/4 mile results were dissappointing. My 60' was consistently 0.15-0.20 slower than my previous passes, and it followed through the rest of the quarter. I wasn't expecting that with the lower first gear.

Overall, the trans has been working flawlessly, and it is fun to be able to change shift points on my whim. The great part is going down the interstate @ 80mph turning 2100rpm. Plus, it will pull a locked-up 4th gear all the way down to 55mph @ 1500rpm.

Thank everyone for all the help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:52 am 
Site Admin

throw that 160deg thermostat in the trash and swap in a 180 to see if you can pick up another mile per gallon. im sure that thing is capable of better milage..... keep in mind i richened it up a little bit and you may find you can lean it back slightly from where i was at, since i was also dealing with low voltage issues. that monster alternator will probably help tremendously with the issues i was dealing with in the tune.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:28 am 

Yeah, there is no question there is better gas mileage in it. I thought the 14mpg was good considering the passes I made on the strip.

I am still going to take it on a quick road trip to see what it would get with just pure highway traveling, then I will swap the thermostat to see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:59 am 
Site Admin

I still say a bit better rear gear, probabally never gets into it's RPM band around town....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:03 am 
Site Admin

i forgot and left out the fact that its runnning in open loop..... now that the voltage issues are fixed id look into fine tuning it again, and setting it up in closed loop with a warmer thermostat. the closed loop operation will save you some gas as well as the warmer thermostat. id really like to hear your getting in the 18mpg range with that setup.

e

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:14 am 

Alright, time for another couple updates.
Update #1:
As mentioned in another post, I ended up going with a Procharger on the car due to ease and cost. Just a couple weeks ago I was finally able to get back to the dragstrip to see the differences.

Old: 14.1sec @ 98mph, 14mpg round trip
New: 12.8sec @ 110mph, almost 20mpg round trip

Now I would say that was a significant jump! Of course the dragstrip improvement is totally due to the Procharger. During this pass, I saw a max of 7psi. The mpg improvement is more due to tuning improvements and closed loop operation.

Update #2:
Since this car is used more for open track days anymore, the bench seat had to go. After ruling out all the name-brand seats due to cost (Sparco, Cobra, etc), I decided to go with an OEM seat that had good support. After looking around, I was able to find some WRX seats for CHEAP. So, it turns out Scoobaru seats look good in a Chevelle: http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view ... 41c4d4a52e

Anyway, that is all for now. The next step for the car will be an intercooler and a smaller pulley, looking for 14-15psi.

Otherwise, I hope all of you are doing great over in NC!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:56 am 
Site Admin

great improvement and great to hear from you... tried to loko at th epic but requires a login to se it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next