It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:56 am 

Yeah, pics no worky.

Good to hear you are doing well Troy. I think E-Rue needs to hold a reunion party at his house some time.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:46 am 
Site Admin

great to hear from you troy. congratulations on the car.

e

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm 

It has been WAAAY too long since we have all talked, and I am truly sorry about that. Anyway - I thought you might be entertained by an update!

After the last posts here, I got a smaller pulley and went to ~13-14psi. The car felt faster...but not that much faster. I could never really figure it out.
Fast forward to Oct 2010 and a test-n-tune day at Beech Bend (1/4mile). Something was amiss from the very beginning. The car simply would NOT shift 1-2 while at WOT. If I lifted, it would shift, and then I could get back into it. With lifting (all the way off the gas) to get it to shift 1-2, it still ran a 12.7...a tenth faster than at 7psi. I really think the car had a low 12 in it.
Due to the shifting problems that I could not figure out at the track, I only made 2-3 passes and then took it home. The following Monday I drove it to/from work to data log and to try to learn something. In my attempts to get a good data log, I let it sit at the top of 1st gear for just a little too long...next thing I know oil is going everywhere.
The subsequent teardown shows I had serious blow-by on 4 of the 8 pistons. Probably ever since I upped the boost. That would explain the faster, but not as fast as expected. While taking the piston rings out, 3 of them had piston ring lands literally fall apart!!!

Since I was never really happy with this combination (constant electrical problems, drivability problems even with tuning, hard to build boost around the road course, etc), I decided to go a completely different route. I had been working with a friend on a 1999 Camaro SS with a rear-mount turbo. The GM OE computer capability is far superior to anything I had with my Holley setup.

So - the new chapter in the Chevelle's life: a LS1 & T56!
I purchased a wrecked 1998 Camaro Z28 and stole the motor & trans out of it. Sold the rest. I have just finished rebuilding the trans, and I am now about 1/2 way through the motor rebuild. Nothing crazy, just a freshening up.
Plus - and this is especially for Mark - I have finally swapped out the 2.73 rear gear for a 3.73.

Anyway - that is all of my updates! I hope all of you are doing great!

Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

awesome to see the continuation of a good thing!

let me know if you need anything, i have a fully ported set of LS1 heads with 2.02 and 1.60 valves, as well as a mild turbo/supercharger cam. i'd let em go for peanuts. i was going to do an LS1 project many years back, and never really saw it thru.

good luck with the build up, and keep us posted!

e