It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 am 

Hmmmm
very interesting...
keep us posted

Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Johnston Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system with an ITS minegate
TO4B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

finally got a few minutes to work on my own truck this week. fixed the CE light. it was a knock sensor that had come unplugged. was a super simple fix, just pushed down and it clipped in place. was such an easy fix im embarised to admit that iv been driving it around withteh CE light on for months. i must not have pushed down all the way when i first assembled it, and over time it vibrated loose. for those of you that dont know, when the knock sensor is unplugged from a syclone the ECU pulls a flat 4 deg of timing across the board for everything above idle. so ...... i really hadnt done much with the timing table on the syclone E85 tune since the knock sensor was not reading correctly. i just set it up conservative and worked on the fueling portion of the tune while i drove it back and forth to my day job (engineering). now that its all working correctly, im starting to play with the timing table more. E85 seems to want a ton of timing. this is probably the wildest timing table iv done on a syty. the response went way up, and im not hearing or seeing anything from the motor or the data log that would suggest its unhappy. theres several low load areas where the timing is at or approaching 40 deg. VERY responsive off boost. in fact i cant believe the seat of pants low end torque difference im feeling at low load/low RPM. i can just barely touch the gas and the truck lurches to accelerate. i think if theres anything that iv learned from this project its probably that tuning is easily as important as the parts selection in any turbo motor build. its all about the combination and the ability to use self control and not jump on the bandwagon of "bigger is better". this build has more cam and less turbo than just about every other syty build on the street, and with a near perfect tune, id dare to say its not only more drivable than their truck, but i think its even more drivable than a stocker, with plenty of midrange and top end.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:40 am 
Site Admin

started installing the JS suspension, and 12" baer brakes i took off the typhoon when i upgraded to the ZO6 brakes. enjoy. never mind mike falling asleep under the truck. lol

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:34 am 
Site Admin

getting everything ready to go in place.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 am 
Site Admin

lower control arms are in, and the spindles have been modified to lose the dustshields, ABS sensors, and old caliper brackets.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

the install was just about done when i realized the springs were installed upside down.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

heres the finished product. its really funny to me that the truck can sit so low and ride so good....... but somehow it does.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

i got the syclone alligned, and noticed i was getting some very minor rubbing from the coil spring against the upper control arm bolt. adjusted the upper shock mount by moving a washer from one side to the other. pretty simple. the ride on this thing is incredible...... have to say its one of the best mods iv ever done. it handles really nice, but i totally expected that. what i didnt expect is the ride quality that comes with it. the truck sits even lower than it did before, but rides softer. the ball joint angle is WAY better with this kit. shouldnt have any issues with those. the road wandering with the huge ZR1's has gotten a LOT better too. combining this kit with the ZQ8 box, and the steering is really just point and go..... no more fighting the wheel on uneven pavement. the only problem i have is now i want one on the typhoon too.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

started on the turbo swap. wasnt qutite as easy as i thought it would be, but it wasnt anything crazy......just a couple minor bumps in the road.

yanked the old turbo off, and put it beside the new one. (comparison picture) the old turbo is a 61mm GT35R and the new one is a 67mm precision dual ballbearing P-trim. (the compressor is 6mm larger, and the turbine is 3mm larger)

on the next pic you can see where i ran into a few small issues. the centersection on the GT35R is extreemly short. so it uses a special oil return, and spaces the compressor housing farther towards the radiator by about 3/4".

heres the new turbo bolted in place. still a couple minor issues tho.....

first off the oil return for the 35R wouldnt work. had to make a new return..... no big deal, been meaning to make those available to the syty guys on the website anyway. so we kinda killed 2 birds with one stone on that one. the next problem was the wastegate arm. the longer centersection made the mounting point for the actuator farther away from the wastegate puck arm, and would require more tension on the spring in order to make it reach. this would have been fine if i wanted a 23psi base boost setting, but i was looking for something around 14psi. this probably wont be a problem for most people, but my arm was short because it was made for the 35R...... hmmm

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

lucky for me i have mark here, and usually between the 2 of us we can figure out how to build anything. he suggested we make a new end for the actuator on the lathe, and then get it blistering hot and flatten the end on the anvil. that would give us the overall shape and size we wanted. so he threw a large bolt in the lathe, turned the threads adn head off it, and then end drilled it. then came the blowtorch! theres something really cool about hamering a cherry red piece of matal into the shape you want. drilled the hole for the wastegate puck arm, and tapped it for the proper thread, and it fit like a champ. the only downside to this, that i see, is that it took 2 guys about 2 hours to make a $10 part....... but its all good, we had fun making it...... not to mention i really couldnt have bought one anyway.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

all this alcohol iv been burning has finally taken out the walbro pump. time to do a purpose built alcohol fuel system.

i started with a big fat weldon pump. danny welded in a 1/2" tube and -12 an fitting so that i could attach the -12 pump feed line. i had a spare piece of -12 starlite lying around from troys chevelle project so i used that to go between the pickup tube and the pump.

next i went from the pump with -10 braided stainless to a 100micron stainless steel alcohol safe filter, and used conduit straps to secure the line against the frame rail. man this crap is expensive...... i just saw the bill on all these parts..... dont ask.

made a nice stainless steel bracket and bolted it solid to the frame rail.

you really cant even see them but i made some awesome fuel rails tapped with 1/2" NPT fittings, and made a -10 front loop between the rails. then its a short -10 run from the second fuel rail to the external aeromotive regulator. you can see the pigtail for the autometer fuelpressure sending unit. the return line was alreadon on the truck. its a -6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:24 am 
Site Admin

im replacing a old 2800rpm 9/11 converter with one of our own custom 2600rpm converters. im thinking a tighter converter, a hotter thermostat, and running in closed loop will net me several more miles per gallon. im striving to get 15mpg on alcohol...... we will see how it goes.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Admin

converter is in the truck now....... still working on fixing this fuel pump install. heres a few new pics.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

everything is going together nicely :)

Buena is master of all things plumbing!

ryan is working the shaft as usual....... ok bad joke, hes installing the aluminum drive shaft.

new pump location..... had to swap things around so that the filter was before the pump rather than after the pump.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

wanona wanted me to give you a message ryan.

e

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next