It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

havnt gotten anywhere with the timing set yet, but i got plenty of bugs to work out..... starter is contacting the flexplate. gonna see if theres a difference in starters for various years. otherwise im gonna have to get really creative, and offset drill it and sleeve it so i get the allignment i need. tried a starter shim, but its the thrust thats off, not the contact patch. on the other hand the tuning on the 65lb injectors is coming along nicely.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

had to swap starters, the newer style mini starter fixed all my issues, the old one contacts the flexplate. there was nothing wrong with the battery, it was all relative to the starter issue. all fixed now. also the problem with the timing set is a well known issue at GM...... cant believe no one on syty.net knew about it. theres a service bulliten on how to fix it as well as a really nice tensioner setup made by the general. bout $225 worth of parts to make it perfect. so if anyone wants to do a ballance shaft motor dont be scared, you just need the right parts.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:25 pm 

Quote:
also the problem with the timing set is a well known issue at GM...... cant believe no one on syty.net knew about it. theres a service bulliten on how to fix it as well as a really nice tensioner setup made by the general. bout $225 worth of parts to make it perfect. so if anyone wants to do a ballance shaft motor dont be scared, you just need the right parts.

e
So its a balance shaft year timing chain issue not a cam/crank location issue?

http://gallery.turbotime.us/albums/myclone/acd.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:29 pm 

Any idea on how much this motor weighs? Its aluminum so it should be pretty light. Lets build another one and put it in my car. 400 hp is perfect.

And actually, if your motor works well, it would seriously be a good idea. Virtually any motor seems to fit in a 240sx. The 300zx and skyline motors have fit in there. A 2JZ and LS1 has too. The LS1 seems to allow the car to still keep its 50/50 weight distribution. The I-6s make the car front haevy. I imagine this V6 wouldnt.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Admin

dood, the 4.3 v6 is an Iron beast...Iron block Iron heads...I would bet it weighs more than an LS1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:57 pm 

Yeah, Iron kills handling. Oh well.

240sx #2 Aka "Turbo Ant Farm"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

whatever.... this motor ROCKS.

just driving around gettnig some break in miles on it adn tuning it for the E85. its responding really well. drivability on this motor is great. the puma cam and 2800 converter is awesome. very well manered street car thats still plenty fast. heres some pics i took of the tensioner kit. the chain is now very tight. perect kit, was very well thought out. 2 hole son the spider are the mounting holes form teh fornt cover, but 2 of them get dowels driven thru them and into the block. little bit hard to hammer in, but its susposed to be so it wont come loose later on.
was kind of a bear to install it without removing the oil pan, but i somehow did it, and its not leaking so im really happy. everything on the front end is really quiet now. gonna try turning the knock sensor back on and see if its still picking up random noise.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:41 pm 

glad you got it all figured out... its almost time to bring it to the beach!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Got to drive it this weekend, it is AWESOME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

damn i spoke too soon...... the freaking starter/battery are giving me issues again.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:54 pm 

That timing setup looks great! I guess it has removed all of your timing fluctuations now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

truck is doing well. the tune is coming along great now that i realized one of the fueling tables is labeled backwards. i kept making changes in this fueling table that affects fueling as the outside temperature changes, and it was working backwards. 20 hours later..... everything is working great. all i need is the external gate installed so i can tune it at WOT, and some cold weather so i can finish tweeking that tempature table. otherwise im really happy with it. it runs well off the E85, and the 65lb high impedance odd ball injectors. im really enjoying the 60mm turbo as well. comes on nice and fast so theres no lag. this project is pretty much done, and has been fora while, but i figured id coment on it since i just recently figured out the tuning issues that were throwing me for a loop. iv been driving it every day for quite a while now.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

My turn to drive?.....!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

figured out the very last tuning issue on this truck this weekend. iv been having minor cold start issues, intermittant stalling when going from drive to park, and what seemed like slugish response form the IAC when id drop the throttle really fast. i kept thinking that it would go away when i was done tuning it and that it was a minor tuning issue that would fix itself once the tune was nice and super tight. well it didnt...... after 6 months of off and on tuning, the truck was so well tuned, that i couldnt find or feel any drivability issues whatsoever regardless of outside temperature or weather. the IAC issues continued. i was kinda dissapointed and attributed it to the ethanol since the problem was MUCH less noticable on straight 93 octane. after thinking about it one night i had an idea. went outside fired up the truck..... it did its usual low idle while cold, even tho the IAC was full open. i took the throttle body set screw and dialed it in about 1 full turn. the idle immediately jumped up about 400rpm. once it warmed up the computer had no trouble idling down to the desired 900rpm. so i figured i had made a good change. the previous issues seemed to have mostly gone away on the test drive, so i adjusted it another full turn. now on off throttle is better, cold start is better, hot start is better, and theres no intermittant stalling going from drive to nuetral. i think i have a perfectly tuned, well behaved, truck with a wild motor, that i can race or put around town like grandma. again, my case is wierd since im using E85, an aftermarket BBK throttle body, a built motor with a fast ramp cam and my own recipe of valve train and port work, but i think i have solved most all the problems associated with syty's that want to run ethanol blends.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:44 pm 

Are you saying you think the IAC was getting maxed out because the throttle plates were too far closed? Now, you give the IAC a little help by opening the throttle blades and letting it work.

Funny how the most PITA things can be the smallest sometimes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next